For the Base:
– 4 hamburger patties
For the Topping:
– 2 canned tomatoes, peeled, chopped into small cubes and thoroughly mixed with a generous teaspoon of tomato puree, alternatively you could just use some pizza sauce, about 4 or 5 tablespoons, for convenience
– 1 small dash olive oil
– 1/2 to 1 clove garlic crushed or finely chopped, depends on how much you like garlic
– 2 pinches dried oregano, only 1 pinch if using pizza sauce
– 1 pinch ground black pepper
– mozzarella cheese sliced, enough to cover 4 patties or about a handful of grated “dry” mozzarella
For the Rolls:
– 2 fresh rolls, about the same size as the patties
Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, and pepper to the tomato mix and stir through. The patties should preferably be broiled under a grill or cooked on a Weber-like barbecue with the lid on.
Grill/broil the patties until half cooked and flip them over. Barbecue: immediately spoon the sauce onto the patties, cover liberally with cheese and put the lid on the barbecue. Oven/Broiler: wait a minute or two after turning the patties before you add the sauce and cheese. The burgers are ready when the cheese has melted.
Split the rolls and toast the cut surfaces lightly (under grill, on barbecue or in a dry pan) just before the patties are done. Spread a little butter on the toasted surfaces, add the patty and enjoy a great tasting Marinara Pizza Burger.
You could use 4 rolls and top the patty with the other half but I prefer them this way.